text label in x-axis (scatter chart)

  1. #1

    text label in x-axis (scatter chart)

    I'd like to create a scatter chart but force all the data points into
    one column for each series (as poorly illustrated below if viewed using
    fixed font).

    x x
    x x

    x x

    Series A Series B

    There are a few issues I'm trying to work around. First, scatter
    plots seem to require a numeric value. If I have text in the first
    column of data, then the chart will spread the data points
    horizontally. If I create a numeric "label" in the first column, I
    at least get the visual effect I'm looking for but then I have to
    manually create a text box with the series name below each series.
    This is tedious since I'd like to plot lots of series and would like
    to eventually automate chart creation via a macro. I can't find any
    way to have a text label in the x-axis that references a cell from the
    worksheet.

    Stock charts get me pretty close but I really want to display all data
    points as discrete points on the chart.

    Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated,
    Andy

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: text label in x-axis (scatter chart)

    Hi,

    You could tackle this in two ways, you will have to decide which best
    suits you.

    Use the XY scatter, plotting just the x and y values, so you get the
    layout required. Then use either of these free add-ins to link data
    labels with the text in the cells.

    Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler
    http://appspro.com

    Or John Walkenbach's Chart Tools
    http://j-walk.com

    Or with your data laid out like so,
    B1: =Series1 C1: =Series2
    A2: =Label1 B2: =3 C2: =4
    A3: =Label2 B3: =5 C3: =2
    A4: =Label3 B4: =2 C4: =6

    Create a line chart with data plotted by Rows. This will give you the 2
    columns with each series consisting of 2 points. You will need to format
    each series to have a Line of none. You can change 1 series and then use
    the F4 button to repeat the changes to the currently selected item.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Andy
    Guest

    Re: text label in x-axis (scatter chart)

    The second method gets me closer to what I'd like to do. Thanks! Now
    all I have to do is write a simple macro to format all the series
    identically and I'll be even closer.