X - axis labels

  1. #1
    IgorM
    Guest

    X - axis labels

    I have a chart with years on the x-axis. The data starts with 1983, but I
    would like the first x-axis label to be 1984 or 1985. How can I do this,
    without simply getting rid of the 1983 data point? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: X - axis labels

    Do you want to hide the label but keep the data point? Use a custom number
    format like
    [=1983]"";General
    for the axis labels.

    Do you want to hide the point too? Change the source data range of the chart
    so it starts one row (or column) later.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    IgorM
    Guest

    Re: X - axis labels

    Thank you, but I think I need to explain my problem a little differently.
    Given a data set from 1983 to 2000, I would like the x-axis labels to be
    1985, 1990, 1995, 2000. I know how to make Excel only show every 5th year,
    but I don't know how to make it start with 1985 rather than 1983 without
    deleting the 1983 and 1984 data points.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: X - axis labels

    Excel starts its labels with the first value along the axis. My technique
    hides the first one and starts with the second. But you want to start the
    labels at a different place. Excl won't do it with regular axis labels, but
    you can recruit other chart elements to help:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

    - Jon
    -------