new time series chart type

  1. #1
    Gklass
    Guest

    new time series chart type

    The New York Times (the printed edition, I can't find it on line) new
    uses a very interesting chart type to display stock price trends.

    It shows the stock price trendline and straight lines from the base year
    indicating +\- constant percentage changes.

    They look something like this:
    http://lilt.ilstu.edu/gmklass/poverty.gif
    except:
    The x axis is scaled so the the percentage change produces straight lines.
    It includes several constant percentage change lines with the areas
    shaded: a plus or minus five percent growth rate will be shaded dark, a
    ten percent, shaded lighter.

    If I spent all day, I image I could produce one of these, but I was
    wondering if someone already had a macro that would do it.
    --
    Gary M. Klass
    Associate Professor

    ISU\IWU Habitat Collegiate Home
    <http://lilt.ilstu.edu/habitat/>
    SECA # 903 - 0234

  2. #2
    Kelly O'Day
    Guest

    Re: new time series chart type

    Gary:

    I get the Boston Globe, not NYT. However, since the NYT owns the Globe, the
    3 month DJIA trend charts are the same.

    To save you a day, I have reproduced a 90 day DJIA chart using the
    NYT/Boston Globe format. I've made the up and down %s user changeable. I've
    also made the 90 day period user changeable.

    As far as I can tell, the NYT/Boston Globe X axis scale is just plain
    linear. They simply calculate what the resulting DJIA would be 3 months out
    from the start date, then draw a straight line between 1st and last dates.
    this is different that the method used in your example.

    I haven't added the shading between straight lines. There are several
    add-ins that you could use if you want to add this feature.

    I posted the xls workbook on my site. You'll find a downloadable link at
    left bottom of home page. Let me know if it is close to what you were
    looking for.

    http://processtrends.com/

    [email protected]

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: new time series chart type

    Gary -

    Applying a log scale to the Y axis would produce the straight lines. There
    are several examples of such arbitrary axis scales on my web site:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...tml#AxisScales

    The shading could be produced with stacked area chart series having
    carefully engineered values.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

  4. #4
    Gklass
    Guest

    Re: new time series chart type

    Kelly O'Day wrote:

    Kelly:
    Thanks! I really like your website, you've done some really good work.