Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

[SOLVED] Pls confirm 2007 chart redraw is up to 10 times slower than 2003

  1. #1
    larry godfrey
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Pls confirm 2007 chart redraw is up to 10 times slower than 2003

    I have complex charts, with many data points. The redraw time on my machine
    in Excel 2003 (all updates for office and wxp installed) is 2-3 sec, which I
    consider extremely slow, so I was looking forward to an new chart engine with
    better speed from 2007, but am flabergasted at how slow 2007 is.
    Try this...create a line chart, 12 columns of 5000 points each. Put it
    imbeded in a worksheet. Tab to another worksheet, tab back, time the redraw.
    On my machine (3 ghz, 2gig ram), redraw time is 2-3 sec for all the lines to
    show up on the graph. In 2007, it takes a full minute! the graph looks
    better (lines are more clear), but wow, this redraw time is crazy! I created
    the graph in 2003, pulled it into 2007 and saved it as 2007.xlsm file type.

    I also have a graph with ~ 50 5k point lines, of which I hide most of them
    at any one time. This chart redraw in 2007 can go on for 5 minutes!
    (compared to 10-15 sec in 2003)

    Am I unaware of some setting to speed things up, or did MS realy make charts
    10X slower to redraw?
    Best regards
    Larry

  2. #2
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Pls confirm 2007 chart redraw is up to 10 times slower than 2003

    Larry -

    Keep in mind that you are not using Excel 2007. Unless you have been able to
    time-transport yourself into the future, you are actually using Excel 2007
    Beta 2. And you should not expect that a Beta version is optimized for
    speed.

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    larry godfrey
    Guest

    Re: Pls confirm 2007 chart redraw is up to 10 times slower than 20

    Sorry for being too casual about the beta part...
    However, I would not expect optimization for speed to handle a 10X slow down.
    I have run some additional tests using VBA for sheet calculations. If I
    calculate a singele row in a complex sheet inside vba, it takes 15! times
    longer in the 2007 beta vs 2003.

    The only time I see 2007 beta any better in speed compared to 2003 is in a
    workbook where 2003 dependency limit has been exceeded so 2003 has to do a
    full recalc while 2007 beta only does a "changed" recalc.

    Has anyone else done some speed tests?

    Best Regards
    Larry

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Pls confirm 2007 chart redraw is up to 10 times slower than 20

    It's not just optimization. If you've used the various charting and graphics
    modules much in 2007 Beta 2, you will have noticed that a lot of things are
    still a bit off. It's a combination of correcting the glitches, optimizing
    the internal processes, and who knows what else, that will improve the
    performance of the program.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

  5. #5
    larry godfrey
    Guest

    Re: Pls confirm 2007 chart redraw is up to 10 times slower than 20

    Scott Rubble of microsoft was able to recreate my slow graphing with beta 2,
    but has encouraging comments regarding optimization process: "With our recent
    performance improvements in charting, it renders much faster than in Beta 2.
    The upcoming release of Beta 2 TR should be a good indication of the actual
    performance you will see at RTM."
    So I am in "wait and see" mode! :o)
    Heeeeres hoping!
    Larry