Chart gridlines over an area graph

  1. #1
    frendabrenda1
    Guest

    Chart gridlines over an area graph

    Good morning!

    I have an excel chart with an area graph. When I add gridlines to the chart
    the lines do not show over the colored area portion of the graph. i found a
    button for droplines which added the Y axis lines, but have found nothing
    that will show the X axis lines through the graph.

    Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

    Have a GREAT day!

    brenda

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Chart gridlines over an area graph

    Hi,

    You will need to draw the gridlines yourself using additional data series.
    For horizontal gridlines you could use a series for each line, changing
    the y value for each series.
    Or a single series plotted as xyscatter. The x value would be 1 and the
    y value will vary according to the required gridlines. You could then
    use the X error bar with a fixed value to provide the lines.

    See Jon Peltier's explanation,
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...Gridlines.html

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Del Cotter
    Guest

    Re: Chart gridlines over an area graph

    On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
    frendabrenda1 <[email protected]> said:

    >I have an excel chart with an area graph. When I add gridlines to the chart
    >the lines do not show over the colored area portion of the graph. i found a
    >button for droplines which added the Y axis lines, but have found nothing
    >that will show the X axis lines through the graph.

    Make fake gridlines by creating a data series that plots horizontal
    lines, then make sure it's the last series so it plots on top of the
    others. Jon Peltier's web site has examples.

    --
    Del Cotter
    NB Personal replies to this post will send email to [email protected],