How do I set the date to change into the right format?

  1. #1
    Tab In The Office
    Guest

    How do I set the date to change into the right format?

    I need to be able to type 15/06/06 or 150606 and for it to change to
    15-jun-06 when I leave the cell. I have tried all kinds of things, and
    usually, it stays as I typed it, or it shows like I type it mm-dd-yy. Can
    someone please tell me how to format the date cell properly? I have so many
    cover sheets to type for the month end...!Thank you!

  2. #2
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: How do I set the date to change into the right format?

    Did you try to format your cells to the format you want, in your case
    Format/Cells/Date/[*chosse*]?
    Henk

  3. #3
    Tab In The Office
    Guest

    RE: How do I set the date to change into the right format?

    Yes I did, and was only able to get it to work if I typed the month before
    the day (for example, 12/06/06 came out 06-dec-06, instead of 12-jun-06). I
    tried a variety of formulas and created some too, but I didn't get it right!
    Thanks for your help! Tabitha

  4. #4
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: How do I set the date to change into the right format?

    Tabitha: I think you can solve yr problem by Windows settings, not Excel
    settings. Go to the Start Menu/Settings/Control Panel/Regional settings and
    choose for instance English (UK) instead of (US).
    HTH,
    Henk

  5. #5
    Tab In The Office
    Guest

    RE: How do I set the date to change into the right format?

    Thank you for your help, Henk!