How can I create a chart to compare multiple data series?

  1. #1
    magnoliak77
    Guest

    How can I create a chart to compare multiple data series?

    Using Excel, is there a way to merge multiple charts with different data
    series into one to demonstrate a direct comparison of the data series within
    one single chart. I've got 4 charts of the stacked column type.

  2. #2
    Kelly O'Day
    Guest

    Re: How can I create a chart to compare multiple data series?

    magnoliak77

    Tufte calls them small multiples, Cleveland calls them trellis displays. I
    call them panel charts.

    Take a look at the examples on this page.
    http://processtrends.com/toc_panel_charts.htm

    Another option is to stick with your 4 charts, however, you can size and
    align them. Here's a link to a simple macro that sizes and aligns all charts
    on a single sheet.
    http://processtrends.com/pg_chart_vb...e_Align_Charts

    A third option is to place each chart in a cell and use column and row
    sizing to adjust all charts. This lets you line them up and adjust sizes as
    you need.
    Here's a link for this approach:
    http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_chart_in_cell.htm

    One of these choices should work for you.

    ...Kelly

    [email protected]

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How can I create a chart to compare multiple data series?

    As Kelly points out, other chart types would provide for better comparisons.
    A stacked column chart would not allow ready comparison, because the
    additional data would be stacked on top of the existing data, and they all
    would become too compressed for a reasonable comparison.

    If you have a more suitable chart type, it's possible to copy data from one
    chart to another. Select the first chart's chart area, copy it, select the
    second chart, choose Paste Special from the Edit menu, and choose the
    Formulas option.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP