Bubbles with multiple series

  1. #1
    Kim
    Guest

    Bubbles with multiple series

    Hi everybody,

    I am trying to create a bubble chart that has about 10 series. Column A
    contains the names, column B the x value, column C the y values and column D
    the size. I currently have to manually add each series in the graph. Is
    there a way to capture all the series rather than me having to add each
    series one by one? All though this graph only has ten series, I have have
    about 13 more of these graphs to create, so adding a series one by one can
    add up to a lot of time. Any help will be appreciated. Maybe some VBA
    coding is needed.

    Thanks
    Kim

  2. #2
    Del Cotter
    Guest

    Re: Bubbles with multiple series

    On Sun, 2 Jul 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
    Kim <[email protected]> said:

    >I am trying to create a bubble chart that has about 10 series. Column A
    >contains the names, column B the x value, column C the y values and column D
    >the size. I currently have to manually add each series in the graph. Is
    >there a way to capture all the series rather than me having to add each
    >series one by one? Although this graph only has ten series, I have have
    >about 13 more of these graphs to create, so adding a series one by one can
    >add up to a lot of time.

    Kim, I think you need to set up your ten series columns in order as
    follows:

    x1, y1, size 1, y2, size 2, ... y10, size 10

    Then in a separate area which you do not select when you make your
    chart,

    Name 1..Name 10, x2..x10

    All the series will initially share the first x value, so you will still
    have to manually change the x values for series 2 to 10, but this should
    save you some time.

    Even if, like me, you prefer your charts on a separate sheet, it's worth
    designing them embedded in the data sheet at first, because then you can
    drag and drop the ranges, which also saves time and effort.

    --
    Del Cotter
    NB Personal replies to this post will send email to [email protected],

  3. #3
    Kim
    Guest

    Re: Bubbles with multiple series

    Hi Del,

    I will give your suggestion a try. You would think MS would make adding
    series to a graph a lot simplier.

    Thanks Again
    Kim

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Bubbles with multiple series

    Kim -

    This is easy. Select the data for the first series, and create the bubble
    chart. Now select the data for the second series (3 col wide x N rows high),
    and copy it. Select the chart, use Paste Special from the Edit menu, and add
    the data as a new series, using Categories in First Column and if
    appropriate Series names in First Row. Repeat the Copy-Paste Special steps
    for each additional series to be added.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP