Current day on a chart

  1. #1
    Robert Brown
    Guest

    Current day on a chart

    I made a chart with days of the year, projected dates for things and actual
    dates that they happened. I was wondering if i could put a "running line"
    that would move along the chart as the year went on. It would help show why
    the end of the chart doesn't look good.

    Possible?

    If it is, Could i also get something that fills in the column of dates as
    time does on?

  2. #2
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: Current day on a chart

    Hi Robert:
    I figure from what you describe you need a so-called dynamic name range.
    This simply leaves out the future "zero's" so you don't need a running
    "vertical line" as you suggest by your last sentence.... See for instance
    Jon Peltier's website
    http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Cha...hartLinks.html for a number
    of helpful websites how to do this.

    If the dates have a consistent difference (e.g. days, or week numbers
    without interruptions) you can drag the range down and Excel is smart enough
    to fill it out correctly (e.g. showing Feb 1 and not Jan 32). Go the right
    under corner of the selected range (selecting two dates at least) and drag
    the black square downwards while keeping yr left mouse button pressed as far
    as you want; releasing the mouse button triggers the fill. Or you can just
    make a formula =[previous cell]+1 and excel displays the next day. Just
    trial a bit.

    HTH,
    Henk

  3. #3
    Kelly O'Day
    Guest

    Re: Current day on a chart

    Robert:

    If I understand your question, you would like to be able to add a vertical
    line that shows the current date. Is this what you want?

    If it is, I have a how to page on adding a vertical line to a chart with
    just 4 cells. You could use the current date for setting the x values by
    formula and have the Y values go from 0 to your max Y value.

    If this sounds like it is of interest, here's the link:

    http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_vertical_line.htm

    [email protected]

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Robert Brown
    Guest

    Re: Current day on a chart

    For some reason When I do it like you page says to it but when I put it on my
    chart it doesn't go to the current date. It looks to me because I have a
    certain amount of data for my Category(X) values that when I only but the two
    values in for the vertical line it one goes over in the chart two data
    points. What am I doing wrong?
    Currently I have a list of all the dates and NA() for all the dates but the
    current date, but it would be nice to delete all of that and just have 4
    cells for the current date.

  5. #5
    Kelly O'Day
    Guest

    Re: Current day on a chart

    You need to use an XY (Scatter chart) for my technique to work.

    Change your chart type to XY and see if it works.

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Robert Brown
    Guest

    Re: Current day on a chart

    This would be the one thing that i did not have, Thank you!

  7. #7
    Robert Brown