histogram error

  1. #1
    orm
    Guest

    histogram error

    i am trying to create a histogram. everytime i put in the input range i get
    an error saying input range must be a contiguous reference. also i am trying
    to go from one sheet to another which it keeps telling me that that name is
    not valid. anyone got some ideas

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: histogram error

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > i am trying to create a histogram. everytime i put in the input range i get
    > an error saying input range must be a contiguous reference. also i am trying
    > to go from one sheet to another which it keeps telling me that that name is
    > not valid. anyone got some ideas

    Well, the input range must be a single contiguous range. It's a requirement
    for this tool.

    I am not sure what "trying to go from one sheet to another" means. Does it
    mean the histogram (i.e., the result of the tool) is to be on another sheet?
    If so, select the 'Output Range' option, then click the cell in the other
    sheet where you want the results.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

  3. #3
    Melissa
    Guest

    Re: histogram error

    Tushar,

    I am having the exact same error but I know my input is contiguous. My
    histogram output and bins are in Sheet4 and my data I'm trying to
    perform the histogram are on Sheet5. And once I get there error it
    changes the input range to [Filename]Sheet5R2C5:R50C5 even though I'm
    not using the R:C format.

    Any ideas?
    -Melissa

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: histogram error

    Apparently, the the Histogram's 'Output Range' cannot be on another sheet.
    And, the error handling definitely leaves a lot to be desired.

    The trick is to start with the sheet that will be the destination for the
    histogram. With that as the active sheet, use Tools | Data Analysis... |
    Histogram. Now, click in the Input Range field and switch to the actual
    data sheet, and specify the range. For the Output, specify a range on the
    sheet that was the active sheet when you started the Histogram tool.

  5. #5
    orm
    Guest

    Re: histogram error

    the problem that Melissa was having is the exact same as mine. i finnally got
    it figured out by taking the data and putting into another sheet and making a
    histogram from there.