This may be extremely simple...

  1. #1

    This may be extremely simple...

    This may be really simple, but here is my situation, and what I am trying to accomplish:

    I'm trying to create a chart that will show the probability of landing a certain amount of business due to several events (let's call the events "New Product," "Bid Work," and "Hotels").

    For example, I would like the chart to show a 70% probability of the "New Product" event creating $1 million of new business, and possibly an 80% of the "Hotels" event creating $1.1 million, and a 75% of the "Bid Work" event creating $4 million. This could be done either via three separate charts, or one cumulative chart.

    What is the easiest way to accomplish this? I can provide more info if needed.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mattgoof2005
    Guest

    RE: This may be extremely simple...

    Use one line chart chart where the series is Events, X-axis is amount of
    business and the Y-Axis is the probability. Let me know if you need
    additional help.

  3. #3
    mattgoof2005

  4. #4
    mattgoof2005

  5. #5
    Thanks for the reply. I have entered the following in my sheet:

    A2, 3, and 4 have the events : "HOTEL", "BID" and "NEW PRODUCT".
    B2, 3, and 4 have the amount of business in dollars: $4 million, $1.1 million, and $1.2 million
    C2, 3, and 4 have the probabilities: 70%, 80%, and 75%

    Which line graph should I be using? I was trying to show the info in a bar graph initially. Should I have the info entered differently?

    Thanks for any specifics.

  6. #6
    mattgoof2005
    Guest

    Re: This may be extremely simple...

    I was of the impression that you had more data to plot, like Hotel has a 70%
    chance to make 4 million and a 30% chance to make 6 million. If this is the
    case, use a line chart.

    If it's just the 3 points you have here a it would be tough to find a way to
    plot it that makes sense to read. Let me know if my assumption was correct
    and we can go from there.

  7. #7
    Your assumption is correct. However, I need to replicate a bar chart using these probabilities.

    For example, each event would have one bar. That bar would consist of three shaded areas, each one reflecting a certain amount of sales that would correspond to a % of probability. One bar might be a total possibility of $4 million in sales, with a 25% chance of the $4 million, 50% chance at $2 million, and a 75% chance at $1 million.

    Is there any way to do this?

  8. #8
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: This may be extremely simple...

    Can't you calculate your sales for each probability level, so some
    subtraction, and produce a stacked bar or column chart?

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions