How to select an axis that is covered by data points?

  1. #1
    Michael Moser
    Guest

    How to select an axis that is covered by data points?

    In some chart I would like to adjust some parameters of the X-axis (esp.
    the minimum and maximum, since the values choosen automatically are a
    bit "uneven" and it would be nice to have a range of 0..20'000 and
    tickmarks at 5'000, 10'000 etc, than an axis of 1..17495 and tickmarks
    at other odd numbers.

    But my charts has >20000 data points and many of those lie on or very
    near the X-axis. So, how can I select the X-axis itself (in order to be
    able to do a right-click and then select "Format Axis")? Whenever I try
    to select the axis I only select the data series. And there seems no way
    to adjust the axis' properties via the menu.

    Michael

  2. #2
    mattgoof2005
    Guest

    RE: How to select an axis that is covered by data points?

    You can right-click the numbers below the axis as well.

  3. #3
    mattgoof2005

  4. #4
    mattgoof2005

  5. #5
    Kelly O'Day
    Guest

    Re: How to select an axis that is covered by data points?

    Michael Moser:

    I recommend that you use the Chart menu, I find it a major time saver.

    This post gives you info on how to set up the chart menu so that you can
    access it when you want.

    http://processtrends.com/pg_chart_tips.htm#Chart_Menu

    Kelly

    ***[email protected] remove *'s for e-mail

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How to select an axis that is covered by data points?

    Kelly -

    Minor point: That's actually the Chart Toolbar. The Chart menu is in the
    menu bar between Tools and Window when a chart is active.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

    news:%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: How to select an axis that is covered by data points?

    Michael, you can select your dat series (or any other element in yr chart)
    and then use the arrow keys to "walk through" your chart elements until you
    arrive at the one you want to edit/re-format. As long you hv not too many
    plotted series this shld work.
    HTH,
    Henk