[SOLVED] Dynamic Charting - i think!

  1. #1

    [SOLVED] Dynamic Charting - i think!

    Hi,

    I have a spreadsheet that works out loan interest and cumulative
    interest.

    I enter the loan amount, APR and period in Cells A1, A2 & A3
    respectively.

    Then, in a table below (using IF statements) the data is filled out.

    i.e. if I put in a period of 36months, the period column fills out
    until it counts to 36.
    (If I put 60 months, it counts until it reaches 60 etc.etc.)

    I would like to construct a chart that displays the prinicipal of the
    loan that is paid, the cumulative interest that is paid, against a
    'running' x-axis based on the period.

    Here's the tricky bit... I want the chart to auto update when the
    period is changed.

    i.e. if period = 36, then the chart x-axis goes up to 36. If I then
    change the period to 60, then the same chart alters its x-axis and plot
    to show figures upto 60...

    Can this be done...

  2. #2
    mattgoof2005
    Guest

    RE: Dynamic Charting - i think!

    I'm in a similar situation. I simply made the chart to show the longest
    period possible. Most people don't complain about half the chart being
    empty. I just filled the rest of the chart if if statements. Modified for
    you, just use =IF(Duration<={Corresponding Period},"",{calculation}. The if
    on the data keeps a ton of 0s from showing on the graph. This isn't perfect,
    but it works for me.

  3. #3
    mattgoof2005

  4. #4
    mattgoof2005

  5. #5
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: Dynamic Charting - i think!

    James (and Mattgoof):
    There is a more elegant solution, called "dynamic named range", that works
    with the OFFSET command. Search the web with this jargon, or check out Jon
    Peltier's website; it contains links to many others where you find
    instructions how to do it.
    [http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...artLinks.html]
    HTH,
    Henk

  6. #6
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Charting - i think!

    For a variety of examples see
    Dynamic Charts
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ne...rts/index.html

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  7. #7

    Re: Dynamic Charting - i think!

    Thanks to Henk and Tushar...

    Named groups works fine with the OFFSET function. (insert - names -
    define).

    Thanks.

    Jamie