[SOLVED] Have a formula yield a true blank that disconnects graph line

  1. #1
    Mr. Owl
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Have a formula yield a true blank that disconnects graph line

    I use a formula to calculate values or use set criteria to yield blanks.
    Then I graph the data and want the line graph to end where a blank occurs
    rather than connect the line to zero where the blank occurs. Actually all
    blanks are plotted as zeros, but I could enter -1 instead of blank and make
    the scale minimum zero to eliminate this problem if the line did not connect
    from the last data point to the -1 or zero.

    This problem is not cured by copy>paste special>values even though the
    blanks then no longer contain formula but look indistinguishable from real
    blanks. But they do not behave as real blanks, for example, when hitting
    end>down arrow.

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Have a formula yield a true blank that disconnects graph line

    Hi,

    If a cell contains something then the chart will plot it. Depending upon
    the content what is plotted will vary.
    Zero and text are plotted as zero.
    NA() is not plotted - but if the option 'Not Plotted (leave gaps)' or
    'interpolated' is used then the line will connect the valid points
    either side. If 'Plot as zero' is used that is what is plotted, zero.

    Have a look at this page for a possible work around.
    http://www.andypope.info/charts/brokenlines.htm

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Mr. Owl
    Guest

    Re: Have a formula yield a true blank that disconnects graph line

    Thanks Andy, I will try this. I also came across a macro code:

    Sub removeblanks()
    Dim act As Worksheet
    Set act = ActiveSheet
    Sheets.Add After:=Sheets(act.Index)
    ActiveSheet.Name = "formulas"
    Row = 2
    For Each cell In act.Range("a1").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas, 23)
    If cell.Value <> "" Then
    cell.Copy
    Sheets("formulas").Range("a" & Row).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
    Row = Row + 1
    End If
    Next
    End Sub

    that I tried and it worked once and thereafter I can't get it to work again.
    I get runtime error '1004' ; no cells were found.

    I don't know whom to credit for this macro code, because I'm not sure where
    I found it.

    Owl