Importing series labels from a column in a scatter plot

  1. #1

    Importing series labels from a column in a scatter plot

    I'm trying to create a scatter chart with about 110 individually labeled data points. I've got the data in three consecutive columns with the name in the first column but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get excel to import the names from column A as the series name for the associated xy data in column B and C. Here's an diagram of my problem.

    A B C
    Dogs 5 8
    Cats 3 3
    Mice 4 2

    I want a point labeled "Dogs" at (5,8), "Cats" at (3,3), "Mice" (4,2) and so on.

    Is there any shortcut here or am I going to have to manually create a new series for each point?

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Importing series labels from a column in a scatter plot

    Hi,

    Try either of these free addins

    Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
    John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Thanks Andy. Do you have any preference between the two? Do you know if this gross omission by MS will be remedied in their next version of Excel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pope

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Importing series labels from a column in a scatter plot

    I personally use Rob's util. John's one does a lot more beside data labels.

    No indication that the problem will disappear anytime soon