Stacking Charts in Excel

  1. #1
    Maria
    Guest

    Stacking Charts in Excel

    Hi,

    I have asked a similar question before "how to stack charts in excel" and
    someone very kindly pointed me towards the following web link:
    "http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/StackedCharts.html".
    For stacking this sort of chart you need to have the same x-axis for each
    data set that is staked.

    Now, i'm wondering if it is possible to stack charts where each y-axis data
    set has its own specific x-axis data. The overall range on the x-axis will
    be the same, but the individual data points that will be plotted will vary in
    location along the x-axis depending on which y-axis data set it is.

    For example, the data required to be stacked may look like this

    X1 Y1 X2 Y2 X3 Y3
    0 8 0 7.3 0 7.7
    0.2 7 0.15 6.9 0.22 7.1
    0.4 6 0.45 6.1 0.42 5.9
    0.6
    0.8
    1 0 1 0 1 0

    And I would like to stack the plot for X1 vs Y1 over the plot for X2 vs Y2
    which is over the plot of X3 vs Y3 etc.

    Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated!

    thanks =)

  2. #2
    Barb R.
    Guest

    RE: Stacking Charts in Excel

    By default, Excel assumes that the same X series is used for each series, but
    there's nothing forcing you to use that. You can use a different X-Y
    combination for each series.

    Create an XY plot of the first series of data.

    Let's assume that the second series is in cells C1:D10.

    Select those cells and copy.

    Select the chart and choose EDIT -> Paste Special
    Add cells as new series
    Values Y in columns
    Series name in first row.
    Categories X Values in FIrst column

    And VIOLA (he he), you have it!

  3. #3
    Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]
    Guest

    Re: Stacking Charts in Excel

    one approach to d

    Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

    [Shameless Author Plug]
    Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Maria
    Guest

    RE: Stacking Charts in Excel

    Thanks Barb for your reply! I can't stack these charts however. Is it
    possible to select different series (x&y) and still stack the plots on top of
    one another?

    Thanks =)

  5. #5
    Wantage, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

    Re: Stacking Charts in Excel

    I have data that I would like to stack but I need to be able to have gaps in the data if some is missing, it doesn't appear to be possible this way. Can you add gaps to the data somehow.

    I am using excel 2010 so getting the secondary axes to do what I want is causing me a bit of trouble as well. I can't get the top row axes to appear on the y axis as in the instructions and it's difficult to replicate with the new 'ribbon' we get in excel as opposed to File, Edit etc!

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Australia
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: Stacking Charts in Excel

    Dont use an existing thread to post your issue.

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor arlu1201's Avatar
    Bangalore, India
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007
    Posts
    19,166

    Re: Stacking Charts in Excel

    Thanks Aydata.

    jimmy,

    Unfortunately you need to post your question in a new thread, it's against the forum rules to post a question in the thread of another user. If you create your own thread, any advice will be tailored to your situation so you should include a description of what you've done and are trying to do. Also, if you feel that this thread is particularly relevant to what you are trying to do, you can surely include a link to it in your new thread.
    If I have helped, Don't forget to add to my reputation (click on the star below the post)
    Don't forget to mark threads as "Solved" (Thread Tools->Mark thread as Solved)
    Use code tags when posting your VBA code: [code] Your code here [/code]