Incorrect SUM Values in Excel Spreadsheets

  1. #1
    Julie Watson
    Guest

    Incorrect SUM Values in Excel Spreadsheets

    My spreadsheet is not returning a correct value for a column of amounts added
    up using the SUM formula. There is nothing untoward in the column, it is a
    straight forward addition of anything from 2 to 50 plus cells, but the result
    is always £0.01 out. Anyone know why?

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Incorrect SUM Values in Excel Spreadsheets

    Julie,

    It's probably due to the binary-decimal conversions inherent in the Excel
    program. Please read the post called "Comparing Numbers" dated 01/03/2005 as
    well as the "Crossfooting" post dated 04/29/2004 at the following site for a
    good explanation:

    http://www.*****-blog.com/

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Incorrect SUM Values in Excel Spreadsheets

    Results of calculations may have more decimal places than the selected
    cell format displays. For instance, if three cells each contain =1/3,
    their sum will be 1 even though a fixed 2 decimal place format only
    displays 0.33 for each cell. If this is undesirable, you can either use
    the ROUND() function to limit the number of decimal places on specific
    formulas, or you can use Tools|Options|Calculation and check Precision
    as displayed to automatically round all calculations to the displayed
    precision.

    Jerry