calculate which cells in column A will give me the total of column

  1. #1
    Ken
    Guest

    calculate which cells in column A will give me the total of column

    i have the following spread sheet that reeds like this

    Column A B C D

    8 6 7
    what would the formula be that would indicate which cells (in column A)to
    use to achive the total at the bottom of each column, provided that each
    number is only used once. this is a basic version of the spreadsheet that i
    am trying to calculate.
    Regards
    Ken

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: calculate which cells in column A will give me the total of column

    There is no such formula, however if you have solver installed (it comes with
    excel/office) you can use it and the technique here

    http://tinyurl.com/4doog

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  3. #3
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: calculate which cells in column A will give me the total of column

    Not the format you're looking for, but you could do this.

    1. List your numbers in A1:A6.
    2. Put one total number (such as 8) in G1.
    3. Place this in B1, press ctrl/shift/enter, and fill
    down to B6:

    =IF(OR(A1+A1=$G$1,SUM(--(A1+$A$1:$A$6=$G$1))=0),"",MAX(IF
    (A1+$A$1:$A$6=$G$1,$A$1:$A$6)))

    All pairs (except numbers that equal themselves) that add
    up to the total in G1 will appear.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  4. #4
    ken
    Guest

    Re: calculate which cells in column A will give me the total of co

    Hi Jason
    I recieve a blank result from the formula. could i use this same formula on
    a bigger scale with a larger range of numbers

  5. #5
    ken
    Guest

    RE: calculate which cells in column A will give me the total of co

    Wow!
    What an impressive program. It was exactly what I was looking for. If I can
    just make a suggestion, if you want to use the same set of numbers to achieve
    different results without repeating any of the numbers. You must delete the
    numbers from the original (A1:A8) list that have already been used.

    Thank you for the info