lookup, count

  1. #1
    Stan Altshuller
    Guest

    lookup, count

    Hi all

    1. is there a function to count the characters in a cell?
    i.e. if I had the word "abra44" in cell A1 the function would return 6
    2. I haveto match up words from column A to words in row 1
    but its not an exact match, I need the last 5 letters of the values in row 1
    ignored.
    ie. i need to match up

    abc

    to a value in array of

    abd 12345
    abc 12345
    abf 12345

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451
    To answer your first question: try the LEN() function

    abra44 in cell A1
    =LEN(A1) gives 6

    As for your 2nd question: ??

  3. #3
    Dave R.
    Guest

    Re: lookup, count

    Yes - it is the text function =LEN(A1)

    Not sure what you mean by "match up". You can use the LEFT function on
    abd1235, etc. such as =LEFT(A5,3) .. or maybe =LEFT(A5,LEN(A5)-5), then you
    can do your matching, or you can sort the entire range by the column which
    contains the shortened strings.

    news:[email protected]...