Automatic Sequential renumbering within formulas

  1. #1
    Task Lead Nicole
    Guest

    Automatic Sequential renumbering within formulas

    I have 2 columns which will more or less repeat again and again but the cells
    are linked to columns in another worksheet. Basically, I'm having to copy
    and paste my first 2 columns, go into each cells formulas and change the
    Letter and the Number of the cell it is linked to (in the formula). Excel
    automatically goes one up on the Letter but in the wrong direction and it
    doesn't go one up in the Number.

    It's hard to explain but is there an easy way to dictate what intervals go
    up within the formula's reference to the linked cells - in what increments?

  2. #2
    Dave R.
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Sequential renumbering within formulas

    Can you provide more info:
    1)What cell you're entering the formula in and What formula you're entering
    2) What cell you're copying the formula to, and how exactly you desire the
    copied formula (with automatically updated references after you copied it)
    to be different from how it is.

    "Task Lead Nicole" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Task Lead Nicole
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Sequential renumbering within formulas

    My columns look like this:
    =Summary!F113 =IF(Summary!G113<>"","Complete","")
    =Summary!H113 =IF(Summary!I113<>"","Complete","")
    =Summary!J113 =IF(Summary!K113<>"","Complete","")
    =Summary!L113 =IF(Summary!M113<>"","Complete","")
    =Summary!N113 =IF(Summary!O113<>"","Complete","")
    =Summary!P113 =IF(Summary!Q113<>"","Complete","")
    =Summary!R113 =IF(Summary!S113<>"","Complete","")
    =Summary!T113 =IF(Summary!U113<>"","Complete","")
    =Summary!V113 =IF(Summary!W113<>"","Complete","")

    ....because they're being populated from another worksheet. The subsequent
    columns (going on and on) in pairs like that need to be the same but with
    simply the number (like 113 above) changing, going up sequentially because
    these reference Rows in the other worksheet.

    What I ended up doing was copying the above into a Word doc (as a table),
    doing a Find and Replace for the number every time, and copying and pasting
    the newly numbered 2 columns in where I wanted them in the worksheet. It
    worked pretty well as a work-around.

    But now I'm just curious if you can override Excel's attempt to be smart --
    i.e., it was automatically up'ing the Letter in the above formulas Each Time
    I copied and pasted within that worksheet. I couldn't figure out how to turn
    off that function because my life would've been easier if it had even just
    let me copy and paste the exact code/formulas in the columns and all I
    would've had to do was change the Numbering myself manually.

    Let me know what you can find. Thanks!

  4. #4
    Dave R.
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Sequential renumbering within formulas

    Still not sure about your data layout. But if you want to prevent Excel from
    helping when you copy a formula, put $ money signs in front of the part you
    don't want to change. e.g. $A$1 will remain $A$1 no matter where you copy
    it. $A1 will turn to $A2 if you copy it down one row and 1 through 254
    columns to the right.

  5. #5
    Dave R.

  6. #6