Wildcard Not Working in IF statement

  1. #1

    Wildcard Not Working in IF statement

    I'm having trouble getting the "*" wildcard to work in my IF statement.

    Here's a simple example of my formula that resides in {Column B}:

    =IF(A2="*McCaleb",TRUE,FALSE)

    Here's my array:
    {Column A} {Column B}
    Justin McCaleb FALSE
    Daniel McCaleb FALSE
    Tori McCaleb FALSE
    Jeff McCaleb FALSE
    Renee McCaleb FALSE
    Chuck Lodge FALSE
    Marlene Lodge FALSE
    Mom Durst FALSE
    Jim Durst FALSE
    Bruce Smith FALSE
    Lynda Smith FALSE
    Shouldn't this return a "TRUE" in any cell that contains "McCaleb"?

  2. #2
    tjtjjtjt
    Guest

    RE: Wildcard Not Working in IF statement

    An alternative:
    =IF(ISERROR((SEARCH("McCaleb",A2,1))),FALSE,TRUE)

    Or, if having the TRUE and FALSE is confusing:
    =IF(NOT((ISERROR((SEARCH("McCaleb",A2,1))))),TRUE,FALSE)

    tj

  3. #3
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Wildcard Not Working in IF statement

    For a "True" or "False", try this:

    =ISNUMBER(FIND("McCaleb",A2))
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    tjtjjtjt
    Guest

    RE: Wildcard Not Working in IF statement

    I forgot a word in my description of the second formula.
    This line:
    > Or, if having the TRUE and FALSE is confusing

    Should have read:
    > Or, if having the TRUE and FALSE reversed is confusing:

    tj

  5. #5
    Gary Rowe
    Guest

    RE: Wildcard Not Working in IF statement

    Try =IF(ISERROR((FIND("McCaleb",A2,1)))=TRUE,"False","True")

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Wildcard Not Working in IF statement

    Hi!

    Everyone offered good alternatives but nobody mentioned
    that an IF() will not accept wildcards.

    Biff

  7. #7
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Wildcard Not Working in IF statement

    <[email protected]> wrote...
    >I'm having trouble getting the "*" wildcard to work in my IF statement.
    >
    >Here's a simple example of my formula that resides in {Column B}:
    >
    >=IF(A2="*McCaleb",TRUE,FALSE)

    Everyone else seems to like long formulas with many function calls. The
    minimalist approach would be

    =COUNTIF(A2,"*McCaleb")=1