Using The Average Function if a cell has NA

  1. #1
    carl
    Guest

    Using The Average Function if a cell has NA

    I have a formula in Col A,B,C,D that sometimes returns #N/A. I would like to
    average the numbers in Col E but the average function returns #N/A.

    Is there a way to use the average function to exclude the NA's ?

    Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Dave R.
    Guest

    Re: Using The Average Function if a cell has NA

    =AVERAGE(IF(ISNUMBER(A1:A5),A1:A5))
    entered with CTRL SHIFT ENTER.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: Using The Average Function if a cell has NA

    =SUMIF(Range,"<>#N/A")/COUNT(Range)

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Using The Average Function if a cell has NA

    Hi Carl,

    Try

    =AVERAGE(IF(ISNUMBER(A1:A4),A1:A4))

    this is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

    RP

  5. #5
    N Harkawat
    Guest

    Re: Using The Average Function if a cell has NA

    =AVERAGE(IF(NOT(ISNA(A1:A10)),A1:A10)) array entered

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Using The Average Function if a cell has NA

    You've been given solutions for what you asked for, but in general, it's
    poor practice to return expected "errors" as errors. If you trapped the
    NA error, returning a text or null string instead, you could use
    Average() as is. For instance, if the #N/A is being generated by a
    VLOOKUP():

    =VLOOKUP(A1,J:K,2,FALSE)

    You could trap the error:

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,J:J,FALSE)),"Not Found",VLOOKUP(A1,J:K,2,FALSE))

    and Average will ignore the text...