Vlookup & Lookup function error

  1. #1
    Beginner
    Guest

    Vlookup & Lookup function error

    Hi

    Just need some help as to which function I use. I have a figure in say A1
    that I want to match to the same figure in another worksheet in column A &
    return what the figure is in column B to show in A2. I've been using the
    vlookup and lookup functions but just seem to get back #N/A.

    Hope it makes sense, help would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup & Lookup function error

    Hi
    If your Range in Sheet 2 is say, A! to B9.
    Put the following formula in A2 on the first sheet:
    =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:B9,2)

    You will get an #N/A if there is no number in A1 on the first sheet.

    HTH Michael

  3. #3
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup & Lookup function error

    Sorry
    Made a typo....your range in Sheet 2 is A1 to B9
    And if you want to have A2 show a blank if the data isn't available in the
    table range, use the following formula
    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:B9,2)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:B9,2))

    HTH Michael

  4. #4
    Beginner
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup & Lookup function error

    Thanks for that. It does work what you've suggested but just not with the
    cell I want it to work with, that is the cell figure I want to search for on
    the second sheet, first column - do you know of any reasons why this would be
    happen. The cell I want to work from contains another vlookup formula.

  5. #5
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup & Lookup function error

    It sounds like the other VLOOKUP formula is referring to an inappropriate
    reference, hence the #N/A
    It might pay to supply more detail and possibly the formulae you are trying
    to refer to.
    I have used the VLOOKUP to read from another VLOOKUP without any problems.

    Regards
    Michael

  6. #6
    Beginner
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup & Lookup function error

    Thanks Michael.

    This is the formula I have in cell B7
    =LOOKUP(D5,{0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55,60,65,70,75,80,85,90,95,100},{"1","1.5","2","2.5","3","3.5","4","4.5","5","5.5","6","6.5","7","7.5","8","8.5","9","9.5","10","10.5","11"})

    I then have put in cell B12 =VLOOKUP(B7,SHEET2!A34:D54,2)

    I have data in sheet 2 from A1 to D22, but only want to pick up the figure
    that appears in B? which is next to the figure in A? which corresponds with
    the figure showing in B7 sheet 1.

    Are you able to see where I'm going wrong?

  7. #7
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup & Lookup function error

    So If you only have data in Cells A1 to D22 in Sheet2, why is the VLOOKUP
    formula searching from A34 to D54.

    Michael

  8. #8
    Beginner
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup & Lookup function error

    Hi

    Sorry, it works if I enter in the figure from B7 but not if I ref it to the
    cell B7 - is there a way around this as the figure in B7 will change & I'll
    like it to carry on thru to the next formula?

  9. #9
    Beginner
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup & Lookup function error

    Sorry typo, data is in A34 to D54

  10. #10
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup & Lookup function error

    This is starting to get a bit messy.
    I might be easier, if you want to, to email me a copy of the workbook.
    It might be a lot clearer than the way we are going.
    Just add a brief overview of your needs.

    [email protected]
    (Remove the CAPS)

    Regards
    Michael