Drop Down List

  1. #1
    Sandy
    Guest

    Drop Down List

    ello
    Book1 a1 has a drop down list. Book2 c3 = Book1a1. I would like to create a
    drop down for C3 that includes the same drop down from book1 but not limit
    the entry to the existing list. ie., a list that is more extensive
    How can I do this?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down List

    Not sure .. but maybe an illustration would help a bit?

    Try this experiment:

    In Sheet3:

    Put in A1: Text1

    Copy A1 down to A10

    This rapidly creates a list of 10 items: Text1, Text2 ... Text10
    for use as data validation (DV) source

    Select and name the range A1:A5 as : List1

    To name, just select the range,
    then click inside the namebox* and type: List1

    *the one with the droparrow just to the left of the equal sign "="

    Likewise, select and name the range A1:A10 as : List2

    In Sheet1:

    Select A1
    Click Data > Validation
    Under Allow, select List
    Put in the Source box: =List1
    Click OK

    A1 will now house a DV with Text1, Text2 ... Text5

    In Sheet2:

    Select C3
    Click Data > Validation
    Under Allow, select List
    Put in the Source box: =List2
    Click OK

    C3 will now house a DV with Text1, Text2 ... Text10
    i.e. a more "extensive" list of items compared with Sheet1's A1

    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Sandy
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down List

    Thanks Max
    That helps some. However the lists are maintained separately in separate
    workbooks. For now I have linked the first part of the long list to the
    short list and am using the lists separately for each sheet. Not sure if
    the most efficient way but I think it will work

    Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest