Using a grouping of cells to check one cell against another...

  1. #1
    deucer
    Guest

    Using a grouping of cells to check one cell against another...

    Hello,
    There is a group of 56 cells that contain 3 letter groups (i.e. DCM, DCP,
    DCE, NTP).
    There is a column of cells that are listed in the following format
    (DCELNN010101).

    I want to find a way to use an IF statement to say:
    IF ("DCELNN010101" contains "Any of the 56 3 letter groups" then return
    TRUE, FALSE)

    I've been using =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("DCE",L!B99)),"TRUE", "FALSE") with mild
    success. The problem is that I'm limited to using just one of the 3 letter
    groups (DCE) at a time. So with that logic I would have to create 56 formulas
    for each cell that I wanted to perform this on. No thanks. I want the formula
    to check the entire group of 56 groups and return whether that cell contains
    any one of the 3 letters.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Using a grouping of cells to check one cell against another...

    Hi

    i'm assuming that your 56 3 letter codes are listed somewhere
    (sheet2!A1:A56) and i'm hoping that these three letters are to be found at
    the START of your other cells (as in your example), if so you can use the
    following formula

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(LEFT(D3,3),Sheet2!A1:A56,1,0)),FALSE,TRUE)

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...