An in between lookup function

  1. #1
    Duncan Help
    Guest

    An in between lookup function

    I am looking for a function that will allow me to compare a sales number to
    lower column 1 and upper column 2, and return to me a percentage that's in
    column 3. This will be used for commision percentage depending on $'s of
    sales.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: An in between lookup function

    This formula will lookup a value that is greater or equal to the lookup value

    =INDEX(C1:C20,MATCH(SMALL(B1:B20,COUNTIF(B1:B20,"<"&E1)+1),B1:B20,0))

    where C1:C20 is the percentage and B1:B20 the upper level values. You might
    also want to have a look at this if the commisions are variable

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/variablerate.html

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  3. #3

    Re: An in between lookup function

    Peo Sjoblom wrote...
    >This formula will lookup a value that is greater or equal to the

    lookup value

    >=INDEX(C1:C20,MATCH(SMALL(B1:B20,COUNTIF(B1:B20,"<"&E1)+1),B1:B20,0))
    >
    >where C1:C20 is the percentage and B1:B20 the upper level values. You

    might
    >also want to have a look at this if the commisions are variable

    If the col A values in the row below are equal to the col B values in
    the row above, e.g.,

    ___0 1000 5%
    1000 2000 8%
    2000 5000 11%
    5000 10000 14%

    and if the col A and B values were sorted in ascending order, it'd be a
    whole lot simpler to use

    =VLOOKUP(E1-0.000001,A1:C20,3)

    If the col A values in the row below are equal to one more than the col
    B values in the row above, this could be simplified even further to

    =VLOOKUP(E1,A1:C20,3)