If statment

  1. #1
    helpdesk genie
    Guest

    If statment

    Hi folks,
    Here is one that made me go hmmmm.
    I have to compare two columns of data. One column has 300 cells; the other
    has 1200. If value of colum a matches any value of column b then I want the
    entire row that contains that data to be deleted. If there are no duplicates
    in the two columns I would like them left alone.
    Any help that you can offer would be terrific.

  2. #2
    helpdesk genie
    Guest

    RE: If statment

    I have that backwards, it should read: If there are duplicates I want them
    left in, if the values are unique then I want the entire row deleted.

  3. #3

    Re: If statment

    You have data in columns A and B.

    And you want to check each cell in column A against the whole column B?

    Add some headers to row 1

    Then put this in C2 and drag down:
    =isnumber(match(a1,b:b,0))

    Then apply Data|filter|autofilter to column C.

    Show the ones you want to delete (true or false). Select those visible rows and
    delete them.