When copying dates to another sheet the dates are different

  1. #1
    Kelly C
    Guest

    When copying dates to another sheet the dates are different

    I am trying to copy dates from Excel spreadsheet to another but when I paste
    the date is different. Example: 04/15/85 in orginal, when I paste it it
    reads 04/14/81

    I have tried the different date setting in format cells but nothing is
    working.

    Any idea?

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: When copying dates to another sheet the dates are different

    Kelly

    Below is a quoted posting from a few days ago. It explains your problem and
    proposes a fix.

    Start Dave's post........................

    Dave Peterson Jan 4, 3:04 pm

    I like to keep my base date as 1900. If you do to, maybe this saved post will
    help:

    One workbook was using a base year of 1900 and the other was using 1904.
    (tools|options|calculation tab|1904 date system)

    One way to add those four years back is to find an empty cell, put 1462 into
    that cell.

    Copy that cell.

    Select your range that contains the dates. Edit|PasteSpecial|click Add (in the
    operation box).

    You may have to reformat the cell as a date (mine turned to a 5 digit number).
    But it should work.

    You may want to do it against a copy...just in case.

    (I'm not sure which one you'll fix. You may want to edit|pastespecial|click
    subtract.)

    Most windows users use 1900 as the base date. Mac users (mostly??) use 1904 as
    the base date.

    End Dave's post................

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP