Closed Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

>> IRR function

  1. #1
    Jonathan Parminter
    Guest

    >> IRR function

    Hi, any ideas to resolve this one

    A B
    1 Amount IRR calc
    2 $(33,756)
    3 $19,578 -42%
    4 $(19,074) #NUM!

    in cell B4 is: =IRR(A2:A4)

    I have tried using the optional guess argument. But
    haven't figured out how to make a valid guess.

    Any ideas or suggestions appreciated :-)

    Thanks
    Jonathan

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    India
    Posts
    1,066
    Hi Jonathan,

    there is no solution for the example you have mentioned below and so you get the #NUM error. IRR function assumes the cashflow you have given as
    year == cashflow
    0 == $(33,756)
    1 == $19,578
    2 == $(19,074)

    If you tell us what answer you are expecting, someone could help.

    - Mangesh

  3. #3
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    Re: >> IRR function

    Jonathan -

    IRR is the discount rate such that a sequence of cash flows has a net
    present value equal to zero.

    For your data, and for the timing implied by your Excel formula =IRR(A2:A4),
    the cash flow at t=1 is $(33,756), at t=2 it's $19,578, and at t=2 it's
    $(19,074). There is no finite discount rate that will give a net present
    value of zero (at t=0).

    - Mike

    www.mikemiddleton.com

    news:[email protected]...