Counting Cells with multiple criteria.One criteria supporting wild

  1. #1
    Azhar Arain
    Guest

    Counting Cells with multiple criteria.One criteria supporting wild

    How can I count cells starting with character "C" in second column and
    related with the name John only.

    John Car
    Steve Bus
    Bush Cycle
    Powell Truck
    Bruce Van
    Bush Car
    Powell Bus
    Powell Cycle
    Bruce Truck
    John Van
    Steve Car
    Steve Bus
    Bush Cycle
    Powell Truck
    John Van
    John Cycle
    John Car

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Counting Cells with multiple criteria.One criteria supporting wild

    Assuming the source data is in cols A and B,

    Try in say, C1:

    =SUMPRODUCT((TRIM(A1:A100)="John")*(LEFT(TRIM(B1:B100),1)="C"))

    Adjust the ranges to suit

    Note: You can't use entire col references (A:A, B:B, etc) in SUMPRODUCT

    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...