Conditional formatting refering to another cells' value

  1. #1
    gizmo
    Guest

    Conditional formatting refering to another cells' value

    Hi guys,

    I wonder if it's possible to format conditionally a cell according to the
    value in another cell. F. ex., we format cell A1 like this:

    If value in cell A2 = mam (specific text string 1), color the cell A1 in
    purple
    if value in cell A2 = dad (specific text string 2), color the cell A1 in red
    if value in cell A2 = 534 (any number string 3), color the cell A1 in blue

    Intuitively, I would use 3 different conditions, starting with "formula is"
    and then A2=mam (or dad, or...). But it's not working.
    Any idea why?

    Thanks a lot for your help!
    Cheers,

    Gizmo

  2. #2
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting refering to another cells' value

    Did you forget to start the formula with " = "?
    Did you forget to use quotes for the text < "..." >?

    =A2="mam"
    --

    HTH,

    RD