How do I find where a column value and row value intersect?

  1. #1
    Amy
    Guest

    How do I find where a column value and row value intersect?

    I have a large spreadsheet that currently uses the VLOOKUP function. I want
    to add more data to my "Cheat Sheet" so that I can have a VLOOKUP pull up the
    value on the vertical access then cross reference to an HLOOKUP that looks up
    the value on the horizontal access, and the result returns the value where
    both criteria are met in the middle.

    For example, if the lookup value for the VLOOKUP is in cell A7 (along the
    vertical axis/left most column) on the original table array, and the lookup
    value for the HLOOKUP is in cell D1 (along the horizontal axis/top most row),
    I want the value returned to be the value that is in D7 (where the two cell
    values meet on the grid).

  2. #2
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: How do I find where a column value and row value intersect?

    Assuming table is A1:H9 and lookup value for vertical axis in Col A is in
    cell A15, and lookup value for Top axis in Row 1 is in cell A16

    =INDEX($A$1:$I$9,MATCH(A15,A1:A9),MATCH(A16,A1:I1))

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: How do I find where a column value and row value intersect?

    =VLOOKUP(A7,Table,MATCH(D1,INDEX(Table,1,0),0),0)

    where Table is assumed to include the topmost row. The match-type
    (range_lookup) is set 0 (FALSE) in order to effect exact matching of the
    lookup values.