Autosum ignores cell values

  1. #1

    Autosum ignores cell values

    I have inherited a complex spreadsheet and have encountered the following
    problem:

    I am trying to add up a row and although the formula is correct, the values
    are ignored. This happens if I use Autosum or =A1+B1.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Autosum ignores cell values

    Hi D,

    Perhaps the iignored values are formatted as text or have an apostophe as a
    prefix character?

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Autosum ignores cell values

    I've tried changing the formatting and it doesn't appear to be that...

    I have somehow managed to get one row adding up, but when I replicate the
    formula, it copies down the total from the first row, even though the result
    should be different for the different rows...

    I am very close to jumping off a tall building!!!!

    Thanks in anticipation of more of your words of wisdom.

  4. #4
    Forum Expert
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,256
    Hi,

    Try retyping the values to be summarized (if not to many).

    Ola

    + there's an old practical joke (but seldom used), Custom format: #"123".
    ... since you inherited the spreadsheet ...

  5. #5
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Autosum ignores cell values

    Hi D,

    Try:

    Select an empty cell | Copy | select all value ceels | Edit | Pastespecial
    | Select Values option

    ---

  6. #6

    Re: Autosum ignores cell values

    I think I have more or less resolved things, but for anyone else who reads
    this thread here are a couple of things that I worked out, even though I
    don't understand the logic:

    the sheet on which the Autosum wouldn't work was picking up the values from
    4 other sheets to total them. If I changed the Autosum to =A1+A2 it resolved
    it.

    The Autosum worked on the total sheet as long as it was only picking up
    values from that sheet.

    The replication worked as long as the formula was format =A1+A2.

    Thank you so much for your help!