Re: Formulas not working

  1. #1
    John Lovin
    Guest

    Re: Formulas not working

    Ok. I thought I'd figured it out. When I open the file, in the Title Bar,
    it has the file name followed by the word [Group] and the formulas are still
    screwed up.

    Help!

    John

    "John Lovin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ok. This is strange. I just figured out what the problem is with the
    > recalculation, but don't know what caused it. In the
    > <Tools><Options><Calculation> Menu, Calculation was set to Manual. Do any
    > of you know how this could happen? Some sort of inadvertant hot key

    combo?
    > Virus?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John
    >
    > "John Lovin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I've never had this before. I track information on a weekly basis and

    the
    > > worksheet uses formulas (obviously). I've been just opening the

    > spreadsheet
    > > and entering new data and the formulas recalculate. This week, when I

    put
    > > the new data in, the totals in the cells with the formulas didn't

    update.

  2. #2
    Spiff
    Guest

    Re: Formulas not working

    John,

    I think you were on the right track with the Tool | Options | Calculations
    setting being on Manual. Make sure this is set to Automatic and save the
    file immediately afterwards.

    Something that I've noticed that happens with the calculation setting is
    that if I have a spreadsheet open that is set to Manual Recalculation and
    then open one at the same time, that should recalculate Automatically,
    because the first spreadsheet was set to manual, the second one gets changed
    without my knowledge. Maybe that happened to you?

    Henry Falk

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Formulas not working

    John

    The [group] means you have more than one worksheet selected.

    This will not affect calculation setting, but can cause disastrous effects on
    the sheets in the group.

    What you are entering/formatting on one sheet will be done to all sheets in
    the group.

    You will notice two or more sheet tabs are colored white. These are the
    sheets that are grouped.

    Select an ungrouped sheet or right-click on any sheet and "ungroup sheets".

    Depending upon how long you have had the sheets grouped, you could have
    some(many?) errors on these sheets.

    Check carefully before ungrouping.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    John Lovin
    Guest

    Re: Formulas not working

    Gord,

    I figured it out...thanks...Geeze...I've not EVER had this much trouble!
    Thanks for the help.

    John

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Formulas not working

    Hi John,
    Hope you take backups, just in case things get worse
    or turn out to be worse than you thought.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm
    ---
    HTH,