Formula keeps altering by itself!

  1. #1
    Julie P.
    Guest

    Formula keeps altering by itself!

    Hi, I am using the following Excel formula:

    =COUNTA(C4:C3593)

    It is placed in cell C3.

    However, each night, I delete the cells from C4 to C1045, and elect to shift
    left.

    Then the formula all of a sudden becomes:

    =COUNTA(C1046:C3593)

    So is there any way to prevent it from changing like this? I want the
    formula to always be:

    =COUNTA(C4:C3593)

    Cells C4 to C1045 need to be counted, even if they were just shifted from
    the right column.

    Thanks for any help!

    Julie

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Formula keeps altering by itself!

    Add an INDIRECT function: =COUNTA(INDIRECT("C4:C3593"))

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Julie P.
    Guest

    Re: Formula keeps altering by itself!

    "Debra Dalgleish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Add an INDIRECT function: =COUNTA(INDIRECT("C4:C3593"))

    Thanks Debra! I will give this a try!

    J.

  4. #4
    CarlosAntenna
    Guest

    Re: Formula keeps altering by itself!

    Julie,

    You could try just clearing the contents of the range of cells instead of
    deleting them.

    Select the range then press the delete button or right click and "clear
    contents"

    Carlos

    news:[email protected]...