Exclude a cell from calculating

  1. #1
    Drew
    Guest

    Exclude a cell from calculating

    I have a column that sums. The column is a list of my bills; for example $50,
    $100, $150.

    If I pay my $50 bill, i want to do something to the cell to indicate that
    the bill is paid (maybe strikeout text, a green color or something), and to
    not include that bill in the summation.

    Thanks in advance for your help

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Exclude a cell from calculating

    Hi!

    Why not use a helper column. If you list your bills in
    column A, in column B put an "X" in cells next to bills
    that have been paid. Then you could use a formula like
    this:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B10<>"X"),A2:A10)

    Biff

  3. #3
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Exclude a cell from calculating

    Drew,

    You can use the SUMIF function. Let's say that you bills are in column A,
    starting in cell A1, and you put PAID in column B when they are paid.

    To get the summation then, use the formula (for the first hundred rows)

    =SUMIF(B1:B100,"<>Paid",A1:A100)

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP