Use a calc to figure sum in months using date fields but numeric r

  1. #1
    susiespassion
    Guest

    Use a calc to figure sum in months using date fields but numeric r

    When doing a pricing structure, I need to use a date to calculate and then
    round into a whole number or decimal , for ex; from 1/1/5 - 6/15/5 how many
    months = 6.5 The return is then used to calculate costs involved with
    different scenarios for sales and clients.

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Use a calc to figure sum in months using date fields but numeric r

    BTW,
    Jan.1 to Jun.15 is only 5.5 months, isn't it?

    One approach might be to calculate 30 day months, where,
    A1 = start - 1/1/05
    B1 = end - 6/15/05

    Format C1 as General or Number, and enter:

    =(B1-A1)/30
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    SusiesPassion
    Guest

    Re: Use a calc to figure sum in months using date fields but numer

    Thank you... let me be a bit more specific.
    =(A3-$A$1)/30.41667 and then
    =ROUND(C14,0.55)

    The reason I need something like this is because we have different
    maintenance end dates for differeent purchases so I need a standardized
    format that will calculate and round any date from multiple years returning
    the number of months in increments of .5 months. Hope this makes sense.

    Thank you so much for your help!!

  4. #4
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Use a calc to figure sum in months using date fields but numer

    Appreciate the feed-back.

  5. #5
    SusiesPassion
    Guest

    Re: Use a calc to figure sum in months using date fields but numer

    You're welcome. Thank you. Hopefully someone has tried this before and can
    help... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I do appreciate your time.

  6. #6
    SusiesPassion
    Guest

    Re: Use a calc to figure sum in months using date fields but numer

    Do you have any other ideas?

    ~S

  7. #7
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Use a calc to figure sum in months using date fields but numer

    I'm sorry.
    I thought we were done.

    I thought that you were just commenting on how you revised my suggestion to
    meet your exact requirements.

    Re-reading your answer, do I understand that you're looking to round to the
    nearest half?

    If so, try this:

    =ROUND((B1-A1)/30.41667/0.5,0)*0.5

  8. #8
    SusiesPassion
    Guest

    Re: Use a calc to figure sum in months using date fields but numer

    Yes, that did help, thanks so much. I forgot to format my cells to accept a
    percentage, ah, duh, so it was working all along....just had a brain fade
    when it came to formatting. Thanks so much again!!!! Yippee!! Happy
    SuperBowl Sunday... I'm going home to enjoy the game now....

  9. #9
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Use a calc to figure sum in months using date fields but numeric r

    Picking up on that theme, one could use the DAYS360 function and divide by 30
    for a standardized way of handling the variation in month lengths.