INTRICATE PROBLEM- How to find multiple text,excluding "H", in a multiple range of cells, then replacing 0 with another number in another cell

  1. #1
    Tourcat
    Guest

    INTRICATE PROBLEM- How to find multiple text,excluding "H", in a multiple range of cells, then replacing 0 with another number in another cell

    A B C D E F
    1 0 0 7.75 7.75 7.75

    2 LA H

    5 ?

    6

    For a formula in cell F5, how can I recognize the text "LA", "PD",
    or "EA" (or any other text), excluding the text "H". Then, if A2:E2
    has the specified text (excluding "H"), to replace the 0 that is
    associated with it (from cells A1:E1) with another number (such as 7,
    but not putting this number into cells A1:E1), then adding up all of
    the cells with 7 and putting this number in cell F5. Also, when adding
    up the 7's, the formula should not recognize the 7 from the 0 that is
    associated with the text "H".
    I know this is an intricate problem and the person who can solve it
    is truly an Excel master. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Dave R.
    Guest

    Re: INTRICATE PROBLEM- How to find multiple text,excluding "H", in a multiple range of cells, then replacing 0 with another number in another cell

    The lack of responses is probably due to people (Excel master or not) not
    understanding what you're looking for. All I can gather is that you'd like a
    way to count a range of cells for certain text, but not "H". For this, you
    may think about counting for the text (not H) then subtracting the count of
    the cells with "H".

    If that's not of much help, you should think about the most generic example
    of this you can, and asking about each part individually. You can then take
    from the answers and make it fit your spreadsheet.

    Your response should include, at minimum, what you expect the cell value of
    F5 to be, and why it would be that value (i.e., how a person would be able
    to enter these values by hand).

    news:[email protected]...