worksheet tab name as part of a cell reference

  1. #1
    cwee
    Guest

    worksheet tab name as part of a cell reference

    I have a file with 50 worksheets, one for each state of the US.

    I am making a master worksheet with a VLOOKUP function to pull data from the
    other sheets depending on what state name the user types into a certain cell.
    A VLOOKUP functin will pull the data, like this:

    =VLOOKUP($A14,'Alabama'!$A$10:$O$40,B$10,FALSE)

    I'd like to make the " 'Alabama'! " part of the function a link to the cell
    where the user enters the state name. In this way, the function would update
    itself with whatever state the user wanted to see. However, it seems like
    worksheet names are static, not linkable. Is there a way to get ths to work?

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: worksheet tab name as part of a cell reference

    One way

    =VLOOKUP($A14,INDIRECT("'"&B2&"'!A10:O40"),B$10,FALSE)

    where B2 would hold the state (sheet) name

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: worksheet tab name as part of a cell reference

    Hi Peo

    how does the B$10 work in a VLOOKUP statement?

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: worksheet tab name as part of a cell reference

    Hi Julie,

    I assumed the OP put the column index in B10, the formula posted was

    =VLOOKUP($A14,'Alabama'!$A$10:$O$40,B$10,FALSE)

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    cwee
    Guest

    Re: worksheet tab name as part of a cell reference

    Peo, you are a star. worked like a chram. Julie, the B10 just refers to a
    column #, which I have as a number at the top of the column.