Get top 3 values from a list

  1. #1
    Dave H
    Guest

    Get top 3 values from a list

    I am running a competition that will be using Excel to calculate scores. I
    am looking for a way to search the total score column, pull out the highest
    3 scores and place them in a Results table. I then need to pull out the
    contestant's name and place it next to their pulled score.

    I want the table to look like this:

    Place: Contestant: Total Score:
    1st Pulled from table Max score from col
    2nd Pulled from table 2nd highest score
    3rd Pulled from table 3rd highest score

    Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Thanks
    Dave

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Get top 3 values from a list

    Have a look in HELP index for LARGE

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:uR3%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Get top 3 values from a list

    Dave

    Assuming Column A has scores in A1:A10 and corresponding contestants in B1:B10

    In total score column D enter these formulas

    =LARGE($A$1:$A$10,1) returns first
    =LARGE($A$1:$A$10,2) " second
    =LARGE($A$1:$A$10,3) " third

    In Contestants column C enter this formula

    =VLOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$B$10,2,0) and drag/copy down 3 cells.

    All of the above assumes "no ties".

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Aladin Akyurek