How do I write formula to compare two values and pull the resulta.

  1. #1
    Renee
    Guest

    How do I write formula to compare two values and pull the resulta.

    How do I write this formula? I want to try and simplify this inquiry as much
    as possible because once I understand how to write the formula, I can run
    with it. But I want to take a value from one cell and a value from another
    cell and use them to cross reference in a table and pull up the resultant.
    For example, In one worksheet Cell A1 has a 4, and Cell A2 has a D, and then
    on another worksheet in the same workbook, I have a table that is numbered
    down the left side 1 to 10 and across the top A-Z and all those cells in that
    table have different values in each one. The question is, how do I write a
    formula that takes the 4 in Cell A1 and the D in Cell A2 and cross reference
    them in the second worksheet to bring me the value in Cell 4,D. I hope this
    makes sense. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How do I write formula to compare two values and pull the resulta.

    One way:

    Assume you have the reference grid in Sheet2, where
    Listed across in B1:AA1 are : A, B, C, ... Z
    Listed down in A2:A11 are : 1,2,3 .. 10

    In Sheet1:
    -------------
    If you have in A1: 4, in A2: D

    then you could put in say, A3

    =OFFSET(Sheet2!$A$1,MATCH(A$1,Sheet2!$A:$A,0)-1,MATCH(A$2,Sheet2!$1:$1,0)-1)

    which will retrieve the contents in "D - 4" in Sheet2

    (Copy A3 across to retrieve similarly for other paired inputs in B1 and B2,
    C1 and C2, etc)

    The row param: MATCH(A$1,Sheet2!$A:$A,0)-1
    will match the value in A1 to get the required row in the ref grid

    while the col param: MATCH(A$2,Sheet2!$1:$1,0)-1
    will match the value in A2 to get the required col in the ref grid

    (The "-1" in both row/col params above is an arithmetic adjustment)

    And perhaps better with an error-trap to return blanks: "" instead of #NAs,
    put instead in A3, and copy across:

    =IF(OR(ISNA(MATCH(A$1,Sheet2!$A:$A,0)),ISNA(MATCH(A$2,Sheet2!$1:$1,0))),"",O
    FFSET(Sheet2!$A$1,MATCH(A$1,Sheet2!$A:$A,0)-1,MATCH(A$2,Sheet2!$1:$1,0)-1))

    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...