way to automaitic sort sheet one numerical, sheet two alpha?

  1. #1
    wichita6
    Guest

    way to automaitic sort sheet one numerical, sheet two alpha?

    Hi,
    I have two worksheets. one sorted numeric and the other is alphabetical. Is
    there a way that when I change info. on page one that it will automatically
    update those changes to the alpha. page? I am fairly new to excel but have a
    basic knowledge of formulas. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: way to automaitic sort sheet one numerical, sheet two alpha?

    Hi

    why are you storing two copies of the list ... why don't you just sort it
    alphabetically or numerically when you need it?

    if you really need two copies of the list is one of the columns "static", ie
    doesn't change, where as related columns do change in the numeric list which
    you want updated to the alpha list? You'll need a static column to achieve
    what you want, unless you want to use code.

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Scott
    Guest

    Re: way to automaitic sort sheet one numerical, sheet two alpha?

    Hi Julie,
    This is a list that I am going to put on our web site for our agents to
    view. it is a current carpet sample list and some of our agents view the
    list in numeric and others in alphbetical.
    I don't know a way to update this list automatically via the web so I'll
    add & delete samples and upload this list as needed. This list changes every
    other day!

    When you say static, is this an item like the style name that is always the
    same unless it is deleted from the numeric sheet? if so, the style and color
    columns are static.

    I'm sorry for my newbie ignorance but I am learning to love Excel!
    Thank you very much!!!

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: way to automaitic sort sheet one numerical, sheet two alpha?

    Hi Scott

    okay assume you have two sheets
    Column A is the Style
    Column B is the Colour
    and
    Column C is the Cost

    - it doesn't matter how they're sorted.

    Now in Sheet2, you want the cost to be automatically updated when you upate
    it in Sheet 1 so the formula in cell C2 of sheet2 is

    =INDEX(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$1000,MATCH($A2&$B2,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$1000&Sheet1!$B$2:$B$1000,0))
    note, this formula needs to be entered with control & shift & enter, not
    just enter.

    - the formula can then be copied down the whole of column c (use the
    autofill handle, bottom right corner of c2 - when you see a +, double click)

    the same logic can then be applied for other columns (D,E,F etc)

    Let us know how you go

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...