Using the Find tool in EXCEL

  1. #1
    TK
    Guest

    Using the Find tool in EXCEL

    I have a spreadsheet that contains hundreds of serial numbers. Each set of
    numbers run in sequence so when I entered them in I simply entered in the
    first number of a sequence and then created a formula for each of the
    succeeding numbers so that each cell would just add one to the previous
    number. However when I need to find a specific serial number I've tried
    using the Find tool by typing the actual number that appears in a cell and
    asking it to find that number. However it keeps coming back and telling me
    it cant find the data. What am I doing wrong? Is Excel unable to find
    numbers in cells when the number is based on a simple formula?

  2. #2
    Martin P
    Guest

    RE: Using the Find tool in EXCEL

    Copy the whole worksheet. On another worksheet use Paste Special to paste
    Values. Do the search on that worksheet. That will show you the location of
    the values you are looking for.

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Using the Find tool in EXCEL

    TK

    In the Find options are you using Formulas or Values?

    Try Values.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP