Help pls! Max func to display value of different cell?

  1. #1
    Impakt
    Guest

    Help pls! Max func to display value of different cell?

    Hi all,

    I am trying to use the max function to find the highest value in a
    row, but display the value of another row (same column).

    Eg: Find the highest value in the row A10:H10 but display the value
    of row A5:H5 that matches the column the the highest value was found
    in.

    In other words...If D10 has the highest value (total rainfall for
    April), and D5 is the label for the column (April) , I want to dsplay
    the name of the month (D5) as the result, not the value of D10.

    Can this be done? Or is there a better way?

    Thanks

    Paul.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Help pls! Max func to display value of different cell?

    One way

    Assuming the source data is in Sheet1

    In Sheet2
    --------------
    Try in say, B2:

    =INDEX(Sheet1!$A$5:$H$5,MATCH(MAX(Sheet1!$A$10:$H$10),Sheet1!$A$10:$H$10,0))

    B2 will return the value within Sheet1!$A$5:$H$5
    which corresponds to the max value within Sheet1!$A$10:$H$10

    (It's assumed there's no duplicate max values in Sheet1!$A$10:$H$10)
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Impakt
    Guest

    Re: Help pls! Max func to display value of different cell?

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:24:41 +0800, "Max" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >One way
    >
    >Assuming the source data is in Sheet1

    Thank you for that...I'll try it out.

    Kind regards

    Paul.

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Help pls! Max func to display value of different cell?

    =INDEX(A5:H5,MATCH(MAX(A10:H10),A10:H10,0))

    Peo Sjoblom

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Help pls! Max func to display value of different cell?

    You're welcome !
    Thanks for posting back ..
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  6. #6
    Impakt
    Guest

    Re: Help pls! Max func to display value of different cell?

    Ok, so I should read about INDEX and MATCH.
    I had no idea where to look in the book/help.

    Thanks again guys (and to anyone else who may reply).

    I'm sure you'll hear from me again as I do battle with my excel
    studies!

    Kind regards

    Paul.