designate one cell as the variable N to be used for calc...

  1. #1
    ridemore
    Guest

    designate one cell as the variable N to be used for calc...

    how can i designate one cell as a variable to be used in moving average or
    max/min formulas?

  2. #2
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: designate one cell as the variable N to be used for calc...

    I guess you could either name it or use absolute reference to it, for
    example $D$3

    Regards

    Trevor

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    ridemore
    Guest

    Re: designate one cell as the variable N to be used for calc...

    thanks for responding - let me clarify - i want to be able to get a max for a
    dataset but i want the max to reference a variable number of cells in the
    data set that i can change on the fly in one cell - so if the column has 1000
    rows and i want the max value from cells 1 thru 50 then i want the max from 1
    thru 60 or 1 thru "N", can i have an absolute reference that gives the number
    of the cells "N" i wish to include in the max data set?

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: designate one cell as the variable N to be used for calc...

    Hi

    =MAX(INDIRECT("A1:A" & C1 & ""))

    where C1 contains the value of "N"

    Cheers
    JulieD

  5. #5
    ridemore
    Guest

    Re: designate one cell as the variable N to be used for calc...

    excellent - thank you!

  6. #6
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: designate one cell as the variable N to be used for calc...

    you're welcome and thanks for the feedback

  7. #7
    Rookie 1st class
    Guest

    Re: designate one cell as the variable N to be used for calc...

    Wanted to treat Mistress Julie to dinner for this solution...wifey said NO!
    <No one looking> sends big wet kiss. Seriously; THANKS