Computing Sales Tax and Retail Price from a number

  1. #1
    Lani Jo
    Guest

    Computing Sales Tax and Retail Price from a number

    Hello All,

    The situation is this...

    When given a new product, the user is given the price to a customer
    which includes sales tax. This number is typically a simple number such as
    50.00 or 20.00.

    The issue is that the *system* requires that retail price and sales tax are
    entered separately, such as Retail Price 18.56 + Sales Tax 1.44 = Total Price
    20.00.

    While I know I learned this reverse calculation somewhere in past, I cannot
    remember it now, which is preventing me from creating the formula.

    Please help.
    Thanks in advance.

    Lani

  2. #2
    Lani Jo
    Guest

    RE: Computing Sales Tax and Retail Price from a number

    Sales Tax is 7.75%

  3. #3
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: Computing Sales Tax and Retail Price from a number

    A1: Retail Price
    A2: Sales Tax %

    Total Price:

    =ROUNDUP(A1*(1+A2),2)

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  4. #4
    Lani Jo
    Guest

    Re: Computing Sales Tax and Retail Price from a number

    Hello,

    The number given is Total plus Sales Tax, I need to back out
    Sales Tax and remaining Retail Cost.

    Retail Price - Sales Tax - Total Price
    Unknown - Unknown - $20.00

    With local sales tax being 7.75%

    I hope that explains the situation more clearly.

    Lani

  5. #5
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Computing Sales Tax and Retail Price from a number

    Hi

    =20(1+7.75%)
    =20*7.75%/(1+7.75%)

    Arvi Laanemets

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Lani Jo
    Guest

    Re: Computing Sales Tax and Retail Price from a number

    Hello,

    I need to work on framing my questions... my apologies for not being
    clear.

    Retail Price - Sales Tax - Total Price
    A1 A2 A3
    Unknown - Unknown - $20.00

    Sales Tax is .0775 or 7.75%

    Thanks, Lani

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    Houston, TX
    << Hello,

    I need to work on framing my questions... my apologies for not being
    clear.

    Retail Price - Sales Tax - Total Price
    A1 A2 A3
    Unknown - Unknown - $20.00

    Sales Tax is .0775 or 7.75%

    Thanks, Lani >>

    If the total price is entered in Cell A3, then:

    the retail price in Cell A1 : =round((A3/1.0775),2)
    the sales tax in Cell A2 : ==A3-A1

    Hope this is the solution that you are looking for.
    BenjieLop
    Houston, TX

  8. #8
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: Computing Sales Tax and Retail Price from a number

    With Total Price in A1:

    =ROUND(A1/(1+7.75%),2)

    This will give you the Retail Price.

    Jason

  9. #9
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Computing Sales Tax and Retail Price from a number

    Hi

    Into A1 enter the formula
    =A3/(1+7.75%)
    Into A2 enter the formula