Text wrapping problems

  1. #1
    Scott Whetsell, A.S. - WVSP
    Guest

    Text wrapping problems

    In a workbook that we are using the users enter a narrative into a userform
    text box which places it in a cell on it's own worksheet. The cell is column
    A and all rows merged, and text wrapping has been selected. The formatting
    works correctly for the first 18 lines, then the text wrapping stops and it
    just cuts off any additional text on that line. Line breaks still work, but
    it will not wrap any additional text.

    How can I correct this?

  2. #2
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Text wrapping problems

    "Scott Whetsell, A.S. - WVSP" wrote...
    >In a workbook that we are using the users enter a narrative into a
    >userform text box which places it in a cell on it's own worksheet.
    >The cell is column A and all rows merged, and text wrapping has been
    >selected. The formatting works correctly for the first 18 lines,
    >then the text wrapping stops and it just cuts off any additional
    >text on that line. Line breaks still work, but it will not wrap any
    >additional text.

    You're almost certainly hitting Excel's approximate 1024 character limit on
    how many characters it'll display in a cell if there were no embedded
    newlines in the text. Your ONLY option is using VBA to embed regularly
    spaced newlines (in VBA, Chr(10)) in the text box text before entering it in
    the merged cells. In other words, you can't rely on word wrap.

  3. #3
    Scott Whetsell, A.S. - WVSP
    Guest

    Re: Text wrapping problems

    I'm not familiar with the Chr() cmd. Would that create automatic line breaks
    in the narrative, and how would that affect what the end-user sees? Do you
    have a link towards a support article or website that provides more
    assistance on this cmd?

    Thanks,

    Scott

  4. #4
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Text wrapping problems

    Scott Whetsell, A.S. - WVSP wrote...
    >I'm not familiar with the Chr() cmd. Would that create automatic line

    breaks
    >in the narrative, and how would that affect what the end-user sees?

    Do you
    >have a link towards a support article or website that provides more
    >assistance on this cmd?

    VBA online help? Chr is a function that's been part of Microsoft BASIC
    all the way back to BASICA days, and I'd be willing to bet even back to
    Altair BASIC.

    Inserting newlines won't necessarily produce the same appearance as
    word wrap, BUT it WILL allow you to display more text in a merged cell.
    If you want to display more than you're seeing now, YOU HAVE NO CHOICE.