Convert 20050118 to a working date field

  1. #1
    Jessica
    Guest

    Convert 20050118 to a working date field

    I have exported this field using RIGHT, MID, LEFT, & functions but I am left
    with a column that looks like 2005/01/18. I then paste values and when I
    format as a date it does nothing until I press F2 for each cell. I have many
    rows, is there an easier way to make the date field usable?

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Convert 20050118 to a working date field

    One way that might work, select all dates and do edit replace and replace /
    with /
    (yes repleace the forward slash with a forward slash)
    another thing might be to copy an empty cell, select the dates and do
    edit>paste special and select add,
    then reformat as dates again yyyy/mm/dd

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: Convert 20050118 to a working date field

    =TEXT(A1,"0000\-00\-00")+0

    Format as date.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Convert 20050118 to a working date field

    Select dates and do Data / Text To Columns, then in the wizard choose the
    appropriate date option for your column

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

  5. #5
    Jessica
    Guest

    RE: Convert 20050118 to a working date field

    Thanks all! 2/3 answers worked!

  6. #6
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Convert 20050118 to a working date field

    Jason Morin wrote...
    >=TEXT(A1,"0000\-00\-00")+0

    Did you test this?

    This would only work if the OP's cells contain 8-digit numbers
    formatted as "0000\/00\/00". However, if the OP were generating these
    cell values with LEFT, MID and RIGHT, then they're text, in which case
    your formula fubars.

    TEXT will treat A1 evaluating to "2005/02/23" as a value, but as a
    *DATE* value. That is, TEXT("2005/02/23","0") would return 38406 (1900
    date system), so with A1 evaluating to "2005/02/23" your formula would
    evaluate to the rather unhelpful 0003-84-06.

  7. #7
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Convert 20050118 to a working date field

    Ken Wright wrote...
    >Select dates and do Data / Text To Columns, then in the wizard choose

    the
    >appropriate date option for your column

    Picky - Data > Text to Columns, select Fixed width then immediately
    click Finish would also work.

  8. #8
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Convert 20050118 to a working date field

    Cheers Harlan - Never considered trying it without explicitly specifying
    dates. Got me curious though, so I went back and tried it with a different
    date format, ie YDM, eg 2005/18/01 and it wouldn't work, so I guess it's OK
    as long as the date is formatted the way the machine expects to see it, but
    otherwise you need to be explicit in telling it what format it's in.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...