Winnowing a list

  1. #1
    NL
    Guest

    Winnowing a list

    I have a list of names and addresses that I want to turn into mailing
    labels. (bob/smith/100main/town/...)There are many instances of people
    living at the same address (pam & bob & jonny/smith, sue/jones each at 100
    Main).

    Is there a way to extract a list of all combined multiples so there is ONE
    Smith instance at 100 Main?
    It would need to list if there was a Jones there too for an additional
    label.

    ???
    Thanks

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Winnowing a list

    You might try CONCATENATING the last names and addresses into a helper
    column and sorting on that column..........this will group all the "alikes"
    together.........

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    NL
    Guest

    Re: Winnowing a list

    Thanks for you idea.
    I couldn't figure how that would work exactly. I can just sort by address
    and that groups the addresses in the list. Then I have to fiddle with each
    group.
    Sorry...I'm confused...

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007
    Hi!

    Sorting by Address and LastName and Firstname will get you close, probably. For this, use Data > Sort on the menu, not the sort icons.

    I would be surprised if your database was so precise that a single-pass solution would be available to automate it completely.

    Depending on the size, there's more you can do ranging from just looking down the list to extracting unique records using Data > Filter > Advanced filter.

    Alf

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Winnowing a list

    Sorry.....dunno where my head was at.....First back up your data, and then of
    course you can get to the same place by just doing Data > Sort, and then
    setting the first key for your address column and the second key for your
    last name column.........this will group all the "alikes" together......

    Then, assuming your addresses are in column C and your lastnames in column
    B, put this in another helper column

    =IF(AND( C2=C1,B2=B1),"Duplicate","Unique")

    (starting in the second cell from the top of your list), and copy
    down........then sort on this column and delete all rows which say
    "duplicate"......now you have only the "unique" list....

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  6. #6
    NL
    Guest

    Re: Winnowing a list

    That is cool!
    However, it doesn't quite work. It shows the first instance of a multiple as
    UNIQUE.
    Hmmm. I'm thinkin on this. Thanks much for the direction.
    Smith 100 Main
    Smith 100 Main Duplicate
    Smith 100 Main Duplicate
    jones 100 Main Unique
    jones 100 Main Duplicate
    brown 100 Main Unique
    Smith 27 Front Unique
    jones 27 Front Unique
    jones 27 Front Duplicate

  7. #7
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Winnowing a list

    You're welcome, and Yup, that looks exactly like it's supposed to
    look.....now, if you want ONLY the "unique's" for your mailing list, then
    SAVE your data, then just do Copy > PasteSpecial > Values on that
    Unique/Duplicate column and then sort on that column and then delete all
    rows with "Duplicate".....

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  8. #8
    NL
    Guest

    Re: Winnowing a list

    Many thanks, Chuck!

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007
    Hi!

    Data >Filter > Autofilter does a good job on picking out only the ones with Unique.
    F5 > Special > Visible cells only then gives you a quick way of copying them.

    Alf