Sub-total feature is unavailable in Office 2003 Excel

  1. #1
    cawhitaker
    Guest

    Sub-total feature is unavailable in Office 2003 Excel

    I am trying to use the sub-total feature in Excel 2003. I have used it in
    previous versions of excel, but in 2003 it is on the menu, but not available
    for use.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Sub-total feature is unavailable in Office 2003 Excel

    Is the sheet protected?

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    cawhitaker
    Guest

    Re: Sub-total feature is unavailable in Office 2003 Excel

    No. The sheet is not protected. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Sub-total feature is unavailable in Office 2003 Excel

    Did you create this using the list function?

  5. #5
    cawhitaker
    Guest

    Re: Sub-total feature is unavailable in Office 2003 Excel

    Yes. I have discovered that if I use AutoFilter, the subtotals do not work.
    If I take AutoFilter off, the subtotals will work if I copy the information
    into a different sheet and then type new headings to the columns of
    information. It seems to work sporadically. Thanks!

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Sub-total feature is unavailable in Office 2003 Excel

    That's the reason, it has built in totals (Toggle Total Row) on the list
    toolbar and you cannot apply data>subtotal on either filtered or a list
    created with this new function. You can convert it as follows

    right click in the list and select List > Convert to Range